Dec 14, 2012

openSUSE Forums: How to create a gateway network with Wifi USB dongle?

openSUSE Forums
openSUSE Forums
How to create a gateway network with Wifi USB dongle?
Dec 14th 2012, 08:54

Hi,

I bought my first tablet (android) and since it features only Wifi and bluetooth network, I figured why not using my spare USB dongle to use my tower (openSUSE 12.2 with cable Ethernet connection) as a WIFI router.
I've finally manage to get my TP-link USB wifi working (TL-WN821N with proprio atheros driver). The only difficulty was that I first forgot the IW packet. :?

Now I've no idea on how to configure a gateway so my tablet can access internet through my computer. I've tried some online tutorial with Yast or Networkmanager but :
A: Both solution requires that I put my WIFI on *intern zone* within my firewall, and I don't feel well about that, because wifi is fairly easy to crack (although I could filter mac adress).
B: I did not manage to "create" a WIFI setup (my tablet don't pick my own network, but still manage to see neighbor's 300m away).
C: Since I don't have internet on my tablet, I cannot use Android apps and the default network manager is : "choose your network and set a password."


I wouldn't mind a console command or script, but I would prefer a GUI solution since that is the way I've configured all my network so far.
Thank for your help.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments: