Dec 14, 2012

openSUSE Forums: Got dual boot, now going for quad-boot

openSUSE Forums
openSUSE Forums
Got dual boot, now going for quad-boot
Dec 15th 2012, 00:29

So... I've got a laptop with Win7Pro across three primary partitions of a 500GB 7200RPM drive. I can get any *one* Linux distro - Mint, openSuSE, Scientific, etc. to dual-boot just fine. Getting the various distros to co-habitate nicely is proving to be a bit more of a pain.

Right now... sda5, 6, & 7 are 20GB logical partitions. sda8 is a 4GB swap partition, and sda9 is roughly 200GB of data storage space to be mounted under /srv/data in whichever distro I happen to be booted into - assuming I get that far.

Mint 14 is on sda5 right now, and was working pretty smoothly. I had intended to (re)install openSuSE to sda6, and then reboot back into Mint to reconfigure grub2 (last time I mucked about with a boot loader, it was called LILO...).

Problem is... the openSuSE installer didn't pick up Mint. No entry in grub2 for it all. Win7Pro, yes. SL, yes. Mint, no. I can mount sda5 from openSuSE and see the files on there, so I know I didn't wipe it out (whew!).

I've been looking through the grub2 section of the openSuSE 12.2 Reference manual, and at a couple current threads on the forum here, and at the grub2 tutorial over @ dedoimedo.com. The former seem to address primarily dual boot with windows (got that part working), and the latter is a couple years old and some of the commands in there don't seem to work (can't be found on a fresh install of openSuSE).

At this point... I guess my questions would be:


  1. What do I have to do/change to get grub2 to see it during boot?
  2. If I'm going to be multi-booting between different distros as well as Windows, where is the best place to stick grub2 @ - root partition, MBR, where?
  3. For when I go to install another distro on this drive in sda7... what would be the recommended way to do so, so as to *not* end up wiping out or otherwise b0rking my previously configured grub2 setup?


TIA,

Monte

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments: