Dec 16, 2012

openSUSE Forums: Google Voice on 11.2, general questions

openSUSE Forums
openSUSE Forums
Google Voice on 11.2, general questions
Dec 17th 2012, 00:42

So, at length I finally got Google Voice working on my comp. The problem was that, although I could record fine in Audacity, I couldn't get any mic activity in Google Voice (important because I use it instead of a cell-phone). Finally, following some leads from other posters, I got it to work by going to pulse audio and imbalancing the input channels (unlinking them, turning one way up). All seems to be good; I've made test calls without issue. Mission accomplished. But for the benefit of my instruction I would like some explanation:

1) Why did this work? Why won't having equal levels on left and right allow Google Voice to work, but Audacity still works fine?
2) Why do I read so many people hating Pulse Audio? It seems like a good and useful product to me.

Thanks for enlightening me, and I also hope that this solution is available to others who want to get this working. All my reading had made me worry that this was a big, troubling issue, but I was pleased that it was fixed easily. Now I just want to understand why the fix worked.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments: