Jan 13, 2013

openSUSE Forums: Doubts about "mixing" Tumbleweed and 12.2 repositories

openSUSE Forums
openSUSE Forums
Doubts about "mixing" Tumbleweed and 12.2 repositories
Jan 13th 2013, 15:57

Hi there,
First of all I'm currently not an openSUSE user. I'm a Ubuntu (more precisely Kubuntu) user that is thinking that in a next time that I have the time and patience to format my PC I might put openSUSE alongside Windows 8, instead of my current Windows 8 + Kubuntu setup. Even though Ubuntu seems to be more mainstream, which is good in terms of a bigger community and sometimes faster access to new software. However I sometimes feel that even using PPAs some upstream releases take too much time to be available (I know that I can just build stuff myself but I prefer to have repositories that deliver me the latest stuff). That's why I'm thinking of switching to openSUSE Tumbleweed (or at the very least to a 12.2 with some extra repositories). I really like your software search website (software.opensuse.org: Search) and if it was better integrated into YaST it would just be nearly perfect.

However there is stuff that still takes some time to get to Tumbleweed, for example newer GNOME and KDE releases. Or even Transmission that it's at version 2.60. However there's usually repositories with the latest stuff but many are only for normal releases and not for Tumbleweed. For example, GNOME:Apps which has the latest version of Transmission (2.76 as of this post) it's only available for 12.2. Can/should I add this kind of repository to a Tumbleweed release, that uses the current stable release of openSUSE as basis (12.2 right now)? Would it, in principle, cause any problem? And what if later Tumbleweed moves to a 12.3 base? Would I have any problem? Couldn't I just remove the old 12.2 repositories and eventually replace them with 12.3 ones (once they become available with newer stuff)?

So is this kind of use of Tumbleweed relatively safe and recommended? Or is it just better to stick with 12.2 and just add this repositories? And when if I do so how are these repositories dealt with when I upgrade from 12.2 to 12.3?

Sorry for the long post... just trying to know what's the best way to use openSUSE to keep myself up to date and at the same time relatively stable. Any tips you can share?

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments: