Feb 11, 2013

openSUSE Forums: Radeon HD 5650 Not Detected openSUSE 12.2

openSUSE Forums
openSUSE Forums
Radeon HD 5650 Not Detected openSUSE 12.2
Feb 11th 2013, 20:53

This has been driving me crazy for a month or so now. I recently made the switch from Windows 7 to openSUSE on my HP Envy 14 notebook. At first I thought everything was running pretty smoothly, but upon playing a video for 20 minutes, I noticed the bottom of my laptop was SCALDING hot to the touch. I had noticed the fan had been running a lot more excessively than before as well, but I hadn't really paid attention to it until then. I did a little digging around to try to see if something was up with my video card and it's not even detected by openSUSE. I have the drivers libdrm_radeon1 and xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd installed, but in system details it lists my graphics as Intel Sandybridge Mobile.

I read around and discovered that maybe I should install the AMD fglrx driver. However, I have attempted this twice now and both times it has caused a kernel panic and my laptop to restart in text mode. Perhaps I am missing a step or messing something up somewhere? I am rather new to Linux so any help provided would mean the world to me. Please help me to understand where I am going wrong with fglrx driver or if there is another possible solution to my issue. The problem of overheating did not occur until I switched to openSUSE, though I understand it is not likely the OS's fault. On Windows 7, my hardware worked like a dream, so it is not likely that it is buildup of dust or anything similar. I have since cleaned everywhere to eliminate that possibility. I'm almost certain I just need a driver that works for Radeon 5650 HD card, but as I have stated before, I'm kind of a noob, so that may be inaccurate. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments: