Dec 9, 2012

openSUSE Forums: openSuSE 11.1 -install new boot loader- answered wrong root partition -what did it do exactly?

openSUSE Forums
openSUSE Forums
openSuSE 11.1 -install new boot loader- answered wrong root partition -what did it do exactly?
Dec 9th 2012, 14:59

Using the install new bootloader utility from the expert repair tools on the openSuSE 11.1 install DVD, what exactly happens if I answer with a wrong root partition?

For me, it lead to having all but 1 file removed from my other ext2 partitions.
Is it because it decided to do a fsck?? I know that Suse 9.2 has an older implementation of fsck.ext2, but this is unexpected.


Barring malicious intent, and the one time use of Plop boot manager ( from Hiren's BootCD, whith which I managed an urgent boot into opSuse 11, without any problems), I can't believe this would happen.






With some details:

After re-installing WinXP, again, a few days later, I proceeded, as many times in the past, in using the install bootloader repair utility from the initial 11.1 install DVD, to reinstall grub and rearrange the boot list.

(My memory is a bit fuzzy from here)

It kindly asked me which is my root partition, only I messed up, and gave it the partition that had Suse 9.2 installed ( sda2 = openSuse 11.1 ; sda5 = suse 9.2 )

As it showed the progress bar, I used the time to do some chores, so I'm not sure how much time it spent here, less then half an hour anyway.

When I got back, it had the screen with a proposed boot list.
I opted first to restore the MBR from a previous save, but this failed ( do not remember the exact error message, but it did not seem important)
I then chose to reread the boot order from my previous list. This also failed, alerting me to a big problem.


After some investigating I found that all my files were removed from the other ext2 partitions, created with 11.1, with a sole exception, a jar file, deep in /usr structure, IIRC.. Unsurprisingly, the suse 9.2 partition seems ok.




I have saved a dd image of my partitions, and can expect to recover most of the files, using PhotoRec, but as unnamed and pathless.
Currently I and am looking on how to recover both my file and folder structure, and it would help to know as much as possible about how this utility behaves when given a wrong root partition,


Thanks,
A foolish person

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments: