Jan 12, 2013

openSUSE Forums: SSD and new OS install

openSUSE Forums
openSUSE Forums
SSD and new OS install
Jan 12th 2013, 14:40

I am putting together a new machine and would like to request some advice on SSD's and OS installation and any other info that is pertinent to SSD's and opensuse 12.2.
My Mainboard is an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe with a i7-3770k processor, 16 GB ram. I am using OCZ's Vertex 4 SSD. All is new and never been used at this point.
I have been doing some reading on what may need to be done to install an OS on a SSD.
I don't know if this is misinformation on my part, but I have been told that there are things that need to be done to the SSD before I install the OS. Things such as in the following links.
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB%3ASSD_performance [This link only mentions up to 11.4] Does this still need to be done in 12.2?
and
https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...command-2.html [In particular the post #15 by vgiannadakis re: Trim on page 2]. Is this still pertinent to opensuse 12.2?
Also some reading on the OCZ site, which basically said "Install Linux distro as you would on an HDD".
And general googling/ixquick.
Three Simple Tweaks for Better SSD Performance - Linux Magazine Online
Beginners Guide Articles (Updated 12 Feb 12)
Some info has stated that I should put all of the OS on the SSD. Some stated only / and swap on the SSD, but that /home should be put on a HDD.
At this point I am getting a little nervous wondering, "have I made the correct choice of using an SSD for my new OS [openSUSE 12.2]"? I certainly don't want to mess up the SSD before I even get a chance to try it out. I have heard such good things about them. I am certainly willing to do these things, but a little clarification on what steps and in which order I need to do them would be helpful. Are There anymore posts or articles that I need to read to help me use this SSD in the proper fashion. Thank You.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments: