Jan 11, 2013

openSUSE Forums: Manually adding a new entry (e.g. Windows) to the GRUB2-EFI boot loader menu

openSUSE Forums
openSUSE Forums
Manually adding a new entry (e.g. Windows) to the GRUB2-EFI boot loader menu
Jan 11th 2013, 09:48

I have installed both Windows 7 and OpenSUSE 12.2 in my new laptop, which uses UEFI, GPT. I installed Windows first. Upon installing OpenSUSE, Windows did not show up in the GRUB2-EFI boot loader menu. Scouring the internet, I found two ways of adding Windows to the boot loader menu that seem to work! In both cases, I had to add lines in /etc/grub.d/40_custom, and then execute

grub2-efi-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2-efi/grub.cfg

The added lines for Option 1 go like this:
menuentry "Windows 7" {
insmod part_gpt
insmod chain
set root='(hd0,gpt1)'
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

The lines for Option 2 go like this:
menuentry "Windows 7" {
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
insmod search_fs_uuid
insmod chain
search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 080F-E6DA
chainloader (${root})/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

where 080F-E6DA is the UUID of my ESP (/dev/sda1, mounted on /boot/efi), which I obtained using blkid.

Since I don't really understand the menu entry lines themselves, for now my question is simple: which option is better, safer??

(p.s. I'd like to quote commands/codes properly in these forums, but I obviously haven't figured out how to do that. Help?)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments: