Jan 8, 2013

openSUSE Forums: Can I run Qemu (or some other VM) with an x86 guest on an ARM machine like Chromebook?

openSUSE Forums
openSUSE Forums
Can I run Qemu (or some other VM) with an x86 guest on an ARM machine like Chromebook?
Jan 9th 2013, 06:33

I am considering getting a Chromebook (still hoping the openSUSE on ARM goes well!) but one thing I need is the ability to run a VM with multiple guest OS's (I run Ubuntu, Fedora and Windows in a VM). I've read that QEMU can run x86 on ARM but am not sure if I'm misunderstanding it.

http://wiki.qemu.org/Main_Page
Quote:

When used as a machine emulator, QEMU can run OSes and programs made for one machine (e.g. an ARM board) on a different machine (e.g. your own PC). By using dynamic translation, it achieves very good performance.
When used as a virtualizer, QEMU achieves near native performances by executing the guest code directly on the host CPU. QEMU supports virtualization when executing under the Xen hypervisor or using the KVM kernel module in Linux. When using KVM, QEMU can virtualize x86, server and embedded PowerPC, and S390 guests.

Will this do what I want? Can I install Ubuntu or Windows and run them in a VM with QEMU on Chromebook (using a different OS than ChromeOS)? Is there a better choice than QEMU?

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments: