I am setting up a small network for 14 devices. These devices are 2 wireless printers, a (wireless) SONY Google TV, 2 (wireless) iPads/iPods, several (wired) desktop computers, a (wired) Blu-Ray player, and an X-Box (wireless). All of these devices are connected to a Fujitsu Primergy MX130S2 Server with a Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT PCI/PCI-X Dual Port Server Adapter. Included in the pile are two wireless netgear routers. One is a 54Mbs b/g and the other is a 300Mbs N router.
I started with this setup --> [internet]=>[server]=>[wireless router]=>[devices]
This WORKED fine until I started monitoring packets. I could only see packets from the internet to the server and packets going from the server to the router. I could NOT see which individual machine in the network the packets were going to/from. How do I setup a system where all wired and wireless devices are on the same subnet and I can track packets to each machine on the localnet through the internet server? The idea here is to spot security breaches in the network and be able to trace it to an individual device (mainly).
No comments:
Post a Comment